Register now to remove this ad

Page 258 of 310 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268308 ... LastLast
Results 3,856 to 3,870 of 4638

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

New York State Daily New Cases and Daily Deaths:

Attached Images Attached Images
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

USA Daily Deaths 251 lower than yesterday's 254 and the lowest since March 23rd:

I thought the rolling 7 day average was the data of choice. I'm not sure if it was you, but some admonished me for posting daily death totals when we were going up.

I've since switched to the rolling 7 day average and agree with you on the new hospitalization data point as being extremely useful.

That being said, it is great news, especially when you think about how new cases started spiking badly about 2 weeks ago.

My sites shows the 1.79 deaths per million 7 day rolling average is the lowest since April 2.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 07-05-2020 at 11:04 PM.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Florida Daily New Cases, Daily New Hospitalizations and Daily Deaths:

Attached Images Attached Images

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Since so many of us are ideologically corrupted or simply oblivious to the workings of our own democracy, let's get something straight. POLITICS IS NOT GOVERNANCE. Politics is the business of trying to get elected to public office. Governance is the execution of public office.

The "other thread" so many refer to here is supposed to be the POLITICS THREAD.

It should be clear at this point that the execution of governance or more accurately, the failed execution of governance is an important contributor to our current predicament with regard to this virus and those comments regarding the execution of governance BELONG IN THIS THREAD. That the current President has not assumed the mantle of Chief Executive of the Executive Branch for one minute of his term in office, failing us miserably with regard to the pandemic among other things is a significant element to our current predicament.

This Chief Executive clearly does not know the difference between politics and governance as he politics 24/7, hardly ever taking the time to govern. When he does take the time to govern, his version of governing is to twist your arm behind your back and stick a knife to your throat or use the assets of government, OUR ASSETS, to further is personal ambitions. Not quite what the Founders had in mind in my estimation. Worth mentioning that twisting your arm behind your back and sticking a knife to your throat was his business MO as well through a career defined by bankruptcy, failure and running through daddy's money like it was water. It is also the MO of a despot, a dictator, an autocrat.

It should also be clear that currently as a group, as a nation we are less knowledgeable about the workings of our federalist democracy than at any time in our history including the time when it took a fortnight to get news from the nation's centers of government out to the hinterlands. The combination of what is now a deeply flawed systems of education with regard to American History and Civics and government and political leaders purposefully muddying the waters and distinction between politics and governance has led us to this point where well over half of us have no earthly idea what we are talking about!

To deny that there is a difference between governance and politics is simple ignorance and in some cases apparently purposeful ignorance. Want proof that there is a difference? If Donald Duck were simply running for office, politicking, as opposed to actually holding the office would many or any of us care what the fuck he thought or said? If Donald were not actually in the office he seeks would his nonsense have any meaning AT ALL? Trump "politicked" well to achieve the office having no idea how to function in the position once he achieved it and having not learned a single thing about functioning as Chief Executive from that day to this one.

My advice to many of the participants in this thread:
    1) In some cases, get your ideological heads out of your asses
    2) In most cases, GET A CIVICS LESSON because most of you have no earthly idea what you are talking about and certainly have no concept of the proper breadth of the current thread topic, the virus and our progress fighting it
    Last edited by jung; 07-06-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Fucking shut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Thanks, Kimmi.

I know I may not sound like it , at times, but I too am trying to stay positive.

I'm right in the middle of one of the nation's hottest spots after most of us have been doing everything we can to make it go away since mid March. It just gets a little disheartening. Your words help.

With all the new cases and rising hospitalizations, it's a great sign that deaths are barely nudging upwards or staying about the same, depending on what site you trust.

I know we've been saying this every 2 weeks for months, but I really think these next 2 weeks will be telling.
    According to the Worldometers site, the number of daily infections started increasing from June 7, with a steeper increase beginning about June 14. So, we are 4 weeks from the beginning of the increasing number of infections and 3 weeks from the bigger increases. It's still a little too early to know what's going to happen with the daily death numbers as a result of the spikes, but the fact that the daily deaths are still decreasing is an encouraging sign.

I know it's disheartening. I've been doing my part as well, and it's rather frustrating that so many people aren't. All I can say is to hang in there. We will get through this.

My opinion:
    1. Younger people are clearly catching it more in the last few weeks than before. They are stronger and less likely to have medical conditions that complicate things,
    2. Hospitals are better equipped than before, (Finally)
    3. Testing is more widespread, accurate and have quicker results by and large, although black communities still have way lower testing rates despite dying from it more often.
    4. Treatments have improved, despite any vaccine or proven drug.
    5. Maybe people are more aware of the danger and go to the hospital earlier (if at all) than before this spike. Going earlier or "at all" both increases the hospitalization rate and the survival rate of those who go to the hospital.

These are just off the top of my head.

Do you have any others?

Perhaps the virus is indeed weakening and becoming less lethal.

My opinion:
    1. Younger people are clearly catching it more in the last few weeks than before. They are stronger and less likely to have medical conditions that complicate things,
    2. Hospitals are better equipped than before, (Finally)
    3. Testing is more widespread, accurate and have quicker results by and large, although black communities still have way lower testing rates despite dying from it more often.
    4. Treatments have improved, despite any vaccine or proven drug.
    5. Maybe people are more aware of the danger and go to the hospital earlier (if at all) than before this spike. Going earlier or "at all" both increases the hospitalization rate and the survival rate of those who go to the hospital.

These are just off the top of my head.

Do you have any others?
    All of those sound good to me. Another one worth mentioning is that treatments have improved, but our doctors and nurses also know how to treat it better than they did in March and April. They know what works and what doesn't
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

I thought the rolling 7 day average was the data of choice. I'm not sure if it was you, but some admonished me for posting daily death totals when we were going up.

I've since switched to the rolling 7 day average and agree with you on the new hospitalization data point as being extremely useful.

That being said, it is great news, especially when you think about how new cases started spiking badly about 2 weeks ago.

My sites shows the 1.79 deaths per million 7 day rolling average is the lowest since April 2.
    The rolling 7 day average on this site is the lowest since March 30. I am sure the weekday numbers will increase (hopefully not too much), but either way you look at it, these numbers continue to trend in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    All of those sound good to me. Another one worth mentioning is that treatments have improved, but our doctors and nurses also know how to treat it better than they did in March and April. They know what works and what doesn't
    Good point.

Despite the spikes, and in the event of a second wave (this is supposedly still the first wave), I feel that we are much better equipped to deal with the situation than we were with our initial outbreak in NYC. Those doctors and nurses really were flying by the seat of their pants.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Since so many of us are ideologically corrupted or simply oblivious to the workings of our own democracy, let's get something straight. POLITICS IS NOT GOVERNANCE. Politics is the business of trying to get elected to public office. Governance is the execution of public office.

The "other thread" so many refer to here is supposed to be the POLITICS THREAD.

It should be clear at this point that the execution of governance or more accurately, the failed execution of governance is an important contributor to our current predicament with regard to this virus and those comments regarding the execution of governance BELONG IN THIS THREAD. That the current President has not assumed the mantle of Chief Executive of the Executive Branch for one minute of his term in office, failing us miserably with regard to the pandemic among other things is a significant element to our current predicament.

This Chief Executive clearly does not know the difference between politics and governance as he politics 24/7, hardly ever taking the time to govern. When he does take the time to govern, his version of governing is to twist your arm behind your back and stick a knife to your throat or use the assets of government, OUR ASSETS, to further is personal ambitions. Not quite what the Founders had in mind in my estimation. Worth mentioning that twisting your arm behind your back and sticking a knife to your throat was his business MO as well through a career defined by bankruptcy, failure and running through daddy's money like it was water. It is also the MO of a despot, a dictator, an autocrat.

It should also be clear that currently as a group, as a nation we are less knowledgeable about the workings of our federalist democracy than at any time in our history including the time when it took a fortnight to get news from the nation's centers of government out to the hinterlands. The combination of what is now a deeply flawed systems of education with regard to American History and Civics and government and political leaders purposefully muddying the waters and distinction between politics and governance has led us to this point where well over half of us have no earthly idea what we are talking about!

To deny that there is a difference between governance and politics is simple ignorance and in some cases apparently purposeful ignorance. Want proof that there is a difference? If Donald Duck were simply running for office, politicking, as opposed to actually holding the office would many or any of us care what the fuck he thought or said? If Donald were not actually in the office he seeks would his nonsense have any meaning AT ALL? Trump "politicked" well to achieve the office having no idea how to function in the position once he achieved it and having not learned a single thing about functioning as Chief Executive from that day to this one.

My advice to many of the participants in this thread:
    1) In some cases, get your ideological heads out of your asses
    2) In most cases, GET A CIVICS LESSON because most of you have no earthly idea what you are talking about and certainly have no concept of the proper breadth of the current thread topic, the virus and our progress fighting it
    OK...Jung, while I agree with a lot of what you said, it doesn't belong here. So I am going to report you to the mods if no one else has already done so. Its not personal, but political posts belong on the other thread. Period. Hopefully you will only get a two week ban and I will be able to enjoy your posts on the Anything Goes thread. Ciao.

Fucking shut up.
    At the risk of triggering my friend MVP, I think it is unanimously agreed by the contributors of this board that Jung has been a jerkoff for insisting to post this garbage here against the numerous requests to stop. Everyone should put him on ignore.

Legend
    This is an article from June 11...a bit old, but I just came across it. I think antibody therapy holds a lot of promise as a bridge to a vaccine:

"On Monday, Eli Lilly and Company announced that its partner Junshi Biosciences had dosed the first healthy volunteer in a clinical trial of a neutralizing antibody against COVID-19. The company is testing a second antibody to test and is conducting preclinical studies of a third antibody. In an interview with Reuters, the company’s Chief Scientific Officer Daniel Skovronsky said the third antibody could possibly begin human trials in the new few weeks. But the statement that got everyone more excited was when he indicated one of the antibodies might be available for use by September.

“For the treatment indication, particularly, this could go pretty fast,” Skovronsky said. “If in August or September we’re seeing the people who got treated are not progressing to hospitalization, that would be powerful data and could lead to emergency use authorization. So that puts you in the fall time: September, October, November is not unreasonable.”"

And now I just came across this article....seems we might have something helpful by Sept-Nov:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/healt...-bn/index.html

A similar type of therapy has worked very well with other deadly diseases, like Ebola:

Regeneron's Ebola treatment worked so well, its clinical trial was stopped early in August 2019. Data showed it was better at saving lives than some of the other therapies being tested. The FDA accepted REGN-EB3 for priority review in April. The agency is expected to make a decision about whether to OK the Ebola therapy by October.
    Last edited by FredLynn; 07-06-2020 at 10:45 AM.

At the risk of triggering my friend MVP, I think it is unanimously agreed by the contributors of this board that Jung has been a jerkoff for insisting to post this garbage here against the numerous requests to stop. Everyone should put him on ignore.
    Good idea. Meanwhile, the mods need to step up their game
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Good idea. Meanwhile, the mods need to step up their game
    Mods are doing their best. I have no complaints with them.

We seem to be self policing fairly well.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")