Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Load Of Bull(pen)

A Load Of Bull(pen)

the first 5 spots in the bullpen are pretty set. Paps is the closer, followed by Bard, Oki, RR, and MDC in any order you prefer. I'd say on the whole, that group's gonna be solid no matter what happens with the other two spots, which are probably going to be mostly inning eaters rather than guys who you'd send out there to dominate in a close game. Delcarmen was rough second half of last year, but that was possibly something you could just blame on injury and let go, and I don't think Oki's age is going to start showing just yet. We might have the best bullpen in the division, but even if we don't ours should be an asset rather than a liability.

How do you guys think the team's going to address the last two bullpen spots? We gonna let Bowden and Tazawa compete for them, do you see more signings, or are we going to sort it out among Bonser, the other RR, and a few members of the scrub brigade get a look?

Also, any dark horses you think have a chance to impress us?
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Re: A Load Of Bull(pen)

I think most people see Wakefield as the long man and I'd have Dustin Richardson as the lefty reliever out of the pen. If Wakefield ends up in the rotation for whatever reason, we could have Bonser as the long man. He's supposedly been throwing well.
    "I don't know what to throw to you." - Joe Mauer
    "Neither does the rest of the league." - Dustin Pedroia

From what I've read, Bonser was looking very good at the end of the season. I think he my be a dark horse.

Also, I think MDC returns to being a very good set-up guy.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;522247;
    From what I've read, Bonser was looking very good at the end of the season. I think he my be a dark horse.

Also, I think MDC returns to being a very good set-up guy.
    Yeah, Extra Bases said something about him not being a lock for the bullpen because the team's pissed that he hid an injury last year. But he was a good set up guy in 2008 and he was an even better set up guy the first half of 2009 before he got hurt.
    "I don't know what to throw to you." - Joe Mauer
    "Neither does the rest of the league." - Dustin Pedroia

I think Bonser has a really good shot of making the team.

It's tough to say who will emerge from ST as the 7th guy in the pen. They have so many options after all of the acquisitions they have made. Wake could be the long man/spot starter if he doesn't start the season out in rotation or on the DL.

I don't think Tazawa or Bowden will be considered for a bullpen role to start the season.

Delcarmen will be back in the bullpen. The other options do not make more sense, no matter how angry they are with him. One of the two spots will indefinitely go to one of the 6 starting pitchers for spot starts and long relief. It sounds like they're putting a big pile of relief pitchers into spring training and seeing who looks the best, maybe thats boof, maybe richardson, maybe nelson.

I'd enjoy the humor of the last man standing being Ramon A. Ramirez.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Fenway Resident

As much as he is against it, Wakefield will be in the bullpen as the long reliever/spot starter (barring an injury/trade). The front office would be hit so hard with criticism if Clay started the year in Pawtucket

Tim Wakefield
    Dustin Richardson or Boof Bonser
    Manny Delcarmen
    Ramon Ramirez
    Daniel Bard
    Hideki Okajima
    Jonathan Papelbon
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Bonser and Brian Shouse.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre;522282;
    Bonser and Brian Shouse.
    Yup.

Most likely.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I dont see Tazawa as a capable MLB pitcher, Wakefield made the allstar team last year after a solid 1st half, if hes not hurt I think hes still an asset as a starter and more of a liability in the bullpen unless its after DiceK throws 110 pitches in 3ip. You can pencil in what Wakefields going to do pretty much his entire career but all this is idle speculation that depends on his health, the guy isnt a youngster

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crunchy;522911;
    I dont see Tazawa as a capable MLB pitcher,
    Based on what? His first professional season?

Couple bad starts at the big league level this early in the guy's career prove absolutely nothing.

Tazawa is still extremely young and could be a capable #4 in the future.
    In Plump We Trust.

"That was a very well laid out, rational point. But I will still hold to my emotional opinion based on no facts or evidence." - Everyone but Plump.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;522912;
    Based on what? His first professional season?

Couple bad starts at the big league level this early in the guy's career prove absolutely nothing.
    Based on the fact that he was supposed to throw 97 and he doesnt, hasnt played in the big boy league in Japan and the way he pitched last year in Boston...In that Yankee game he won I saw more meatballs served in those 4.5 hours than are served at Mama Leone's on Salem Street in a week.
    I think we got a lot more Kei Igawa/Tomo Ohka/Robinson""Cy"" Checo, Sang Song's than we do Dice K's.
    The fact that he went straight from the amateurs to the majors doesnt make him good, it makes him money. The way the US is spending on sucky Japanese pitching these days makes me suspicious that Theo only paid him 6?M/3yrs...

I understand that he's young but will he accept playing in Rhode Island for a couple years when he wouldnt accept playing in Japans big leagues? These kids get emotional and we have had a lot more busts than success stories since the Asian kids started coming here 18-20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crunchy;522911;
    I dont see Tazawa as a capable MLB pitcher, Wakefield made the allstar team last year after a solid 1st half, if hes not hurt I think hes still an asset as a starter and more of a liability in the bullpen unless its after DiceK throws 110 pitches in 3ip. You can pencil in what Wakefields going to do pretty much his entire career but all this is idle speculation that depends on his health, the guy isnt a youngster
    Agree Seany!