Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Post Mortem

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    True, but Tito is 15-19 in playoff games since 2008. Is that small, too?

Farrell was 5-8 and was skewered alive by Sox fans, including me.

Look, I get why Sox fans love Tito. The guy brought us 2 rings after decades and decades of frustration, but you should count the good and bad, and although Cora's sample size is teenie, there's no bad-- only good.

Like I said, I may adjust my opinion in the future. Right now, I think Cora has us positioned to win it all this year. If I'm wrong, and we lose this year, maybe I'll call it a tie. Maybe I'll still have Cora ahead, depending on how we may lose.

Cora has done a great job with this team. He's greatly lessened the blunders and bone-headed plays. Players are more focused and seem to have much more fire and desire. They exude confidence but not cockiness. Our pen looks like crap on paper, but somehow we finished top 10 in pen WAR. Despite Pom's implosion and losing Wright for most of the year and ERod & Sale for some time, we still finished 6th in SP'er WAR.

I know this is not all Cora's doing. DD and the players play a big part in our improvement, but I give a lot of credit to Cora. I doubt we win 98 game with Farrell.
    Well, we'll see where cora is 30 years from now.

If the Yankees pass on him, which most people seem to think will happen, will Sabathia retire or sign somewhere else because the fire is still burning and that was a shitty way to go out?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    If the Yankees pass on him, which most people seem to think will happen, will Sabathia retire or sign somewhere else because the fire is still burning and that was a shitty way to go out?
    He'll play next year, likely for the Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    He'll play next year, likely for the Angels.
    Or, Dodgers.

Or, Dodgers.
    NL teams won't touch Sabathia

Good point. He'll get hurt the first time he swings a bat or tries to get out of the batters box on the way to 1B.

I could see the Rays or Indians making a move for him.

If the Astros lose Keuchel and Morton...

they will if he is willing to convert to RP.
    other names i have posted under: none

is he willing to be a 7th or 8th inning guy?
    other names i have posted under: none

I think he will be back, his clubhouse presence has some value; he will be in an incentive based contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    I think he will be back, his clubhouse presence has some value; he will be in an incentive based contract.
    I tend to agree with this. I think CC will be back. And he does have some value.

He is from the Bay area, I could see the A's making a minor one year investment in Sabathia.

If the Yankees bring him back, it has to be as a 5th starter only. You don't want Sabathia starting playoff games. He can't do that anymore.

There is a 1% chance that Boone does not come back. I'm almost certain there is an end of season meeting between the manager and GM. I'd imagine Boone's performance will be reviewed and they'll touch on the areas where they feel he can improve, most notably when to manage by feel vs when to manage by the analytics. He's a rookie manager so it's not like he can't improve. And despite some boneheaded moves this year, he was probably the second best rookie manager this season behind Cora. And Cora had experience coaching other aspects of a team so he wasn't as green as Boone.

If I had to grade Boone's management for the ENTIRE season in my most unbiased attempt, I'd give him a C+.. maybe B-.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    There is a 1% chance that Boone does not come back. I'm almost certain there is an end of season meeting between the manager and GM. I'd imagine Boone's performance will be reviewed and they'll touch on the areas where they feel he can improve, most notably when to manage by feel vs when to manage by the analytics. He's a rookie manager so it's not like he can't improve. And despite some boneheaded moves this year, he was probably the second best rookie manager this season behind Cora. And Cora had experience coaching other aspects of a team so he wasn't as green as Boone.

If I had to grade Boone's management for the ENTIRE season in my most unbiased attempt, I'd give him a C+.. maybe B-.
    That's way too generous.

That's way too generous.
    If I was only grading him for the postseason it would be a D+. No F because he managed the A's game very well.

For the entirety of the season he was passable. Made some of the usual dumb mistakes that most managers encounter throughout a season, he just had them happen a few times too many. There were also games where he made all the right moves but they got zero play because when something goes right it's because of the players.. managers only get credit when something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post

I partially agree with you, his shortcomings are more on the people who hired him with no coaching experience, he's not like Carlos Beltran, he was out of the game for some years, they put him in an impossible situation

The reason the team won 100 games is more related to the current talent on the team than his skills as a manager. He's a smart guy, he will be better next year but I hate how he messed up some key decisions in the playoffs