Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox have fired GM Dave Dombrowski

Red Sox have fired GM Dave Dombrowski

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Wow... I didn't think this would actually happen that fast, I thought he would at least get another year.

Really really surprising.

Let it be known, you must win the world series every year if you want to keep your job. Yikes!
    Last edited by DontCallMeUncleRico; 09-08-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Definitely a bit of a surprise.

This is a bombshell!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Welcome to the rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Welcome to the rebuild
    You really need to learn the value of an unexpressed thought.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Legend
    notin carries too much weight with Red Sox ownership.

This isn’t about the Sox not making the POs this year. This is about the extensions and the money spent and not making the POs. If DD said to Henry, hey, we might take a step back this year. Let’s add to the pen, let Eovaldi walk, let Sale play out his contract and scale back a bit, he’s still in the GM chair. But he hasn’t learned from his history. He had some damn good Detroit teams, but he gets enamored with his teams and ends up extending them stupidly beyond their usefulness. He left a wretched mess in Detroit and it’s heading that way here. I think Henry is smart enough to know that they have to rebuild while they have pieces that will get a return rather than pay their guys top dollar again. This absolutely means Mookie gets moved, IMO. And it also validates Shaughnessy who called this two months ago

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    This isn’t about the Sox not making the POs this year. This is about the extensions and the money spent and not making the POs. If DD said to Henry, hey, we might take a step back this year. Let’s add to the pen, let Eovaldi walk, let Sale play out his contract and scale back a bit, he’s still in the GM chair. But he hasn’t learned from his history. He had some damn good Detroit teams, but he gets enamored with his teams and ends up extending them stupidly beyond their usefulness. He left a wretched mess in Detroit and it’s heading that way here. I think Henry is smart enough to know that they have to rebuild while they have pieces that will get a return rather than pay their guys top dollar again. This absolutely means Mookie gets moved, IMO. And it also validates Shaughnessy who called this two months ago
    1. Validates Shauhnessy? 2 months ago? Don’t you read my stuff? (Although interestingly enough, I did get mention in this thread prior to Shaughnessy, as it should be.)

2. It could mean the end of Betts. But it’s not a guarantee...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    notin carries too much weight with Red Sox ownership.
    Actually as it took until mid-September, I was thinking maybe I don’t have enough weight...

I for one hope it’s not the end of Betts. You don’t replace guys like Mookie

Deity
    Actually as it took until mid-September, I was thinking maybe I don’t have enough weight...
    The only reason it took till mid-Sept is because it helped John Henry maintain the fantasy that we still had a shot at making the WC.

I would suggest that John is not happy as he has literally bounced DD out on his ass. So what lies at the heart of that:
    - can't be winning it all in 2018. that would be absurd
    - probably isn't using the farm so extensively to win it in 2018 as that is DD's MO
    - so I would surmise that John is torqued off about the Sale extension and the Nate and Pearce signings
    - quite possibly torqued off about being drawn into the trade deadline public fiasco which may well have been a DD creation
    - quite possibly since DD was Pres of Baseball Ops. not a GM, Henry was nonplused about the general direction of the entire baseball op as opposed to the business operation. I don't blame him. He has a right to be torqued off. Beyond the 2018 WS win, I am not particularly pleased with where they have gone since DD has been at the helm either.

DD's approach has been somewhat confused. He is not even keeping one foot in a traditional baseball ops management perspective and the other foot in a more "contemporary" approach. He has been dancing back and forth between one and the other. I would not be at all surprised if Henry finds that entirely unsatisfactory.

But to not realize that the way DD was dispatched with is a clear indication of Henry's displeasure would be sticking our heads in the sand.

Deity
    Thanks go out to dd and now it's on to the next GM.. Where's Cherington when you need him? Let all of you condescending jackasses who know so much about the way it works and that would include the jackson ass from NY fame. I will do my thing as a fan for the next guy up.

Anxious to see Cora's reaction to this move by ownership. Now he has to consider a new boss in baseball ops. Henry had to be super mad to this and was just waiting for a good excuse, such as a Yankee series loss at home . DD's team did not have a winning record at home. All very interesting and will make the off season more active than this season has been.

Legend
    1. Validates Shauhnessy? 2 months ago? Don’t you read my stuff? (Although interestingly enough, I did get mention in this thread prior to Shaughnessy, as it should be.)

2. It could mean the end of Betts. But it’s not a guarantee...
    I have been expecting this for some time, although I thought they might wait for the season to end. Dombrowski spend the money and traded away the farm in order to make us competitive and give us a chance to win the WS. With the team resources depleted, he didn't look like the guy to rebuild and reset. They can look for the right guy. I suggested a name earlier but I'm sure there are other stroong possibilities.

If you look at Dave's recent moves, he extended Sale and Eovaldi, put Moreland and Pearce in place again and extended Bogie. Some were good moves but most were moves that will weigh the Sox down for years to come. I don't think this parting ways with Dombrowski will impact the decision on Mookie but I do think it means reset, rebuilding of the farm system and an approach that I have advocated. Keep the young player core together while replacing guys who don't fit long term. Bring in some young low cost players and see if any can make the grade. It may mean hard headed changes as well. Coaches or players who don't make the grade are gone.