Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Red Sox Starting Pitching

Hybrid View

2020 Red Sox Starting Pitching

Annual post for miscellaneous discussion around the starters.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...-rotation.html

Jason Mastrodonato of The Boston Herald spoke with Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke, who gave some details about a presentation from chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom. (Bloom, of course, was with the Rays when they pioneered the use of the opener.)

Roenicke outlined that they are still considering using two openers, as well as using some pitchers to “pitch three innings every three days.”

It seems the approach is still in a very speculative stage. One element being considered is the stretching out of Darwinzon Hernández. Before last year, Hernández had primarily been a starter in the minors. But 2019 saw him oscillate between starting and the bullpen, making 12 starts and and five appearances at two minor levels to go along with one start and 28 relief appearances in the big leagues. What form his contribution will take in 2020 seems to still be up in the air.

“We talked about it again a couple days ago,” Roenicke said, “and I think that talk is probably going to continue on with him. Especially the better he does at more innings, we’ll probably keep talking about it. Maybe he’s at two innings and then goes to three. Then we’re like, ‘OK, do we try this guy and see how he does starting?’ Those conversations I imagine will probably happen through the years.”

Another name to watch out for is Ryan Weber, according to Peter Abraham of The Boston Globe. Abraham notes that the Red Sox are trying to maximize Weber’s five-pitch mix by increasing the use of his cutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...-rotation.html

Ryan Weber, RHP: The 29-year-old Weber has pitched in the majors for the Braves, Mariners, Rays and Red Sox since 2015, but he hasn’t experienced much success in the bigs. Weber’s fastball averaged under 89 mph last year as a member of the Red Sox, with whom he struggled to a 5.09 ERA (with a much better 4.20 FIP) and 6.42 K/9, 1.77 BB/9 and a 48.6 percent groundball rate across a career-high 40 2/3 innings. While Weber worked mostly as a reliever in 2019, the Red Sox are optimistic about his chances of turning into a capable starter or at least a bulk pitcher, thanks to increased reliance on a cutter.

Chris Mazza, RHP: Mazza debuted in MLB last season with the Mets at the age of 29, but he yielded 10 earned runs on 21 hits during that 16 1/3-inning span. To Mazza’s credit, he was far better last year in Triple-A, where he put up a 3.67 ERA/3.85 FIP with 7.34 K/9, 2.13 BB/9 and a lofty 58 percent groundball rate across 76 frames.The Mets cut Mazza loose after the season, and he ended up with the Red Sox via waivers.

Mike Shawaryn, RHP: Shawaryn, 25, was a fifth-rounder of the Red Sox in 2016 who climbed to the majors for the first time last season. It didn’t go well; even though Shawaryn racked up 29 strikeouts in 20 1/3 innings, he surrendered 22 earned runs on 26 hits and issued 13 walks. And he wasn’t great with Triple-A Pawtucket, either, evidenced by a 4.52 ERA/5.65 FIP with 7.63 K/9 and 4.92 BB/9 in 89 2/3 frames.

Kyle Hart, LHP: A 19th-round pick of the Red Sox in 2016, Hart has consistently prevented runs at a solid clip in the minors, where he has never posted an ERA above the threes at any level. The 27-year-old made his Triple-A debut in 2019 and logged a 3.86 ERA/4.32 FIP with 7.18 K/9 and 3.23 BB/9 over 100 1/3 innings.

Matt Hall, LHP: Hall, 26, joined the Red Sox in a minor trade with the Tigers in January. The spin rate darling has enjoyed some success in the minors, shown in part by a 4.25 ERA with 10.3 K/9 and 3.2 BB/9 in 144 Triple-A innings, but has allowed almost 10 runs per nine with 5.17 BB/9 in a smaller sample of major league frames (31 1/3).

Phillips Valdez, RHP: Valdez was a waiver pickup from the Mariners just last week. He got his first taste of MLB action with the Rangers a season ago, and while he pitched to a 3.94 ERA, averaged better than 10 strikeouts per nine and induced grounders at a 53.3 percent clip, he walked more than five per nine at the same time. And Valdez wasn’t as good at Triple-A, where he recorded a 4.92 ERA/5.59 FIP with 7.44 K/9 and 4.12 BB/9 in 78 2/3 innings of work.

Brian Johnson, LHP: Unlike the names listed above, Johnson’s not on Boston’s 40-man roster, meaning he’s facing an especially steep climb to begin the season in the majors. Now 29, Johnson turned in passable numbers as a member of the Red Sox in 2017-18, but health problems helped hold the soft-tossing southpaw to a 6.02 ERA/5.32 FIP in 40 1/3 innings last year, when he walked over five hitters per nine.
    Last edited by mvp 78; 03-05-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Deity
    I wonder at what point Roenicke looks at his starting lineup and notices the bottom five hitters are a great big steaming pile of meh...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I wonder at what point Roenicke looks at his starting lineup and notices the bottom five hitters are a great big steaming pile of meh...
    Non sequitur.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Non sequitur.
    Totally. But one that is lost amidst all the discussion of the Sox pitching issues...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Sir, this is a thread about the starting pitching.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Sir, this is a thread about the starting pitching.
    I didn’t like the title

"Another name to watch out for is Ryan Weber, according to Peter Abraham of The Boston Globe."

Outfielders -- put on your batting helmets before heading out to pasture!

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

"Another name to watch out for is Ryan Weber, according to Peter Abraham of The Boston Globe."

Outfielders -- put on your batting helmets before heading out to pasture!
    How's he doing this spring?

Boston has been very strategic with young Weber. Some here might not know this, but at Winter Weekend the players are often paired together for the fan photo ops. For example, a year ago my son got to pose between two catchers, Leon and Swihart. But this winter, who was Weber's partner? Not Osich or Maza, not even Brewer... but our favorite Fu Mancigarchewing El Tiante!

For what it's worth... there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly beer.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Boston has been very strategic with young Weber. Some here might not know this, but at Winter Weekend the players are often paired together for the fan photo ops. For example, a year ago my son got to pose between two catchers, Leon and Swihart. But this winter, who was Weber's partner? Not Osich or Maza, not even Brewer... but our favorite Fu Mancigarchewing El Tiante!

For what it's worth... there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly beer.
    My newest grill isn't even a Weber.

Amazingly, incredible, awesome. 5 innings in 2 starts, 0.00 ERA, 5 hits no walks, and 7 K's . SSS, but what could go wrong with those stats on the board?

....DFA JBj!
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    ....DFA JBj!
    He's got a cannon for an arm. Think he can pitch like Darnell MacDonald did?

@NYPost_Mets
    Rick Porcello with a third straight good outing to begin the spring. The right-hander pitched three shutout innings against the Cardinals with two hits allowed, one walk and four strikeouts.

Coulda fit him under the CBT, no?