Register now to remove this ad

Page 101 of 310 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 4638

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    There is nothing wrong with being optimistic. In fact, there are many health benefits to having a positive state of mind.

I feel like you always have to have hope, even when things look hopeless. Don't give up hope.
    Both sides

“When you’re a pessimist, you’re always either proven correct or pleasantly surprised” - George Will

“Hope is a good thing, and no good thing ever dies.” - Andy Dufresne
    Last edited by notin; 05-03-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    George Will liked to point out the beauty of pessimism. When you’re a pessimist, you’re always in position where you’re either proven correct or pleasantly surprised...
    He stole that from Ben Franklin.

But as Sam Seaborn pointed out on The West Wing, good writers borrow from other writers; great writers steal from them outright.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    The lady doth protest too much! (As do the gentlemen!).

I am sure you are all very healthy, spiritually, psychologically, and physically. We all are (as all the time we spend on sports boards proves beyond a shadow of a doubt!)

I just don't think that has a thing to do with your supposed 'optimistic' view of life. Nor is my own health and happiness at all lessened by the fact that I think the world is essentially a sh*thole that is on its way to a very very bad end! (As I always reassured my students, who seemed as equally tortured by giddy flights of joy as by existential angst and despair: " Look. Life sucks. Big deal. Get over it. The good news? it ends.")
    Lol
    I seriously hope that’s tongue in cheek. If not, you certainly Have the right to live your life in the manner in which you see fit. I think that for me a positive attitude-especially now-is critical. Its all a matter of your internal dialogue-what are you telling yourself all day. If you tell yourself that it’s not that bad you can maintain a positive attitude. Otherwise it’s very easy to slide into hopelessness and despair.
    Jmo

"The thought of suicide is a great comfort; one can get through many a bad night with it."--Nietzsche

As for being 'born' with an optimistic or pessimistic viewpoint that can never change ... with all due respect: BALDERDASH! You are not condemned to any mental or spiritual state, good or bad, you were born with or grew up with. I could quite possibly wake up tomorrow morning agreeing with all you you.

The new cases and deaths came down nationwide.

Attached Images Attached Images
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    "The thought of suicide is a great comfort; one can get through many a bad night with it."--Nietzsche
    Have you ever read Steppenwolf by Herrmann Hesse, or The Floating Opera by John Barth? Both of them address that particular theme in their own way.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    The new cases and deaths came down nationwide.

Just a disclaimer, from now on CT will only report deaths and hospitalizations on Sundays. So expect today's numbers to be a little higher from us
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    He stole that from Ben Franklin.

But as Sam Seaborn pointed out on The West Wing, good writers borrow from other writers; great writers steal from them outright.
    A line the writer of “The West Wing” blatantly stole from TS Eliot...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Just a disclaimer, from now on CT will only report deaths and hospitalizations on Sundays. So expect today's numbers to be a little higher from us
    Which also means that, if states aren't reporting every day, watching the daily numbers becomes much less meaningful.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Which also means that, if states aren't reporting every day, watching the daily numbers becomes much less meaningful.
    .. which actually means the topic of daily numbers is becoming more and more political...

Well I can't speak for the rest of the country, but CT is still giving daily deaths, hospitalizations, and testing numbers, which are far more important figures IMO

.. which actually means the topic of daily numbers is becoming more and more political...
    Seems like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Well I can't speak for the rest of the country, but CT is still giving daily deaths, hospitalizations, and testing numbers, which are far more important figures IMO
    It doesn't make sense to not care about new cases. People in that group will die.

@CNBCnow
    JUST IN: Carnival Cruise Line says it will begin to phase-in cruises again starting August 1 with eight of its ships leaving from Miami, Port Canaveral and Galveston.

But we can't have in person baseball.

It doesn't make sense to not care about new cases. People in that group will die.
    I don't care about new cases as long as testing is increasing, and deaths are coming down. The more we test, the more positives we're going to find