Register now to remove this ad

Page 261 of 310 FirstFirst ... 161211251259260261262263271 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,915 of 4638

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    The part that is grim is that beginning in October they are forecasting a sharp upswing in daily deaths for many states. When people are back indoors its a problem. We need to shut down the heavily infected areas and reopen them only when the infection rate is manageable. Or we will pay a heavy price.
    Yes, if could be grim if people continue congregating in large groups with no social distancing and masks.

I'm not sure how they will pull off schools opening 'as normal'.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We just broke the record, again, here in Texas: 10,000 new cases. (NY is the only other state to ever hit 10,000 in a single day- back in April.)
    We had 2 days of big drops over the holiday weekend, so maybe today's numbers captured some of those not counted.

We've more than doubled our deaths per million between late May and now.

Who knows what will happen when schools are forced to open.
    The numbers today do not look so good. Hopefully, this is a small blip of catching up over the holiday weekend, as you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    No new deaths in CT today! Wow! More than an immaterial rise in hospitalizations, however.
    Let's all move to CT!

I am moving to Connecticut.
    Haha. Just posted basically the same thing.

The positive rate has been around 13.5% for some time.

Our cases are going up. We went to 10,000, today- way over the previous high.

Hospitalizations keep climbing.

Death rates are rising.

Still no roll backs on what has been opened, except bars and lowering restaurants from 75 to 50% capacity.

Gyms, pools water parks still open.

The governor is leaving the school decisions to the districts but they have to open in some form. There is more guidance given to restaurants and bars than schools.
    According to Johns Hopkins, there are currently 28 states with a positive test rate higher than 5%. Arizona has the highest rate at 26.83%, followed by FL at 18.93%, SC at 16.92%, then TX at 14.37%. Connecticut has the lowest at .81%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Let's all move to CT!
    Well it's not all fun and games. Total hospitalizations yesterday went up from about 69 to about 85. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. We also paused stage 3 or reopening as a precaution, and our 14 day mandatory quarantine now applies to 20 states.

I am in the last week of my two week self quarantine and I was excited to go into the office for the first time next Monday since starting my internship, but they shut it down after somebody who was in the office on Monday showed symptoms. A final decision about how long to close the office will be made after test results come back. It's not like we're living our lives freely again. Masks are still required everywhere, and I enjoy wearing a mask so much, I just might do it for the next few years
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

According to Johns Hopkins, there are currently 28 states with a positive test rate higher than 5%. Arizona has the highest rate at 26.83%, followed by FL at 18.93%, SC at 16.92%, then TX at 14.37%. Connecticut has the lowest at .81%.
    We've seen a small jump over the last few days to about 1%. Not really saying much, though
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Texas had been at 22%.

What's interesting is that one of the many guidelines to reopening was that the positive rate being below 10%. Texas actually advanced to the next phase when it was over 20%!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

We hit 410 deaths per million, today.

That's less than 37 below France. At this pace, we may pass them in less than 24 days.

Legend
    Yes, if could be grim if people continue congregating in large groups with no social distancing and masks.

I'm not sure how they will pull off schools opening 'as normal'.
    Opening schools is definitely important. Kids need to have that kind of structure in their lives. It will not be *normal* for anyone for a long time. This has to be done, but very carefully, and if whatever the school is doing, if it isn't working, they have to close again and figure out a better way. We cannot allow the kids to be vectors. On the same general subject, why in hell are professional sports starting? Already many of the athletes are testing positive. I predict that while sports may start (or may not) the seasons will be halted early on. They should never have planned this way, much as we all miss professional sports, this is foolish.

update from my colleagues in Israel:
    After a short period of reduced COVID-19 infections and almost complete return to normalcy Israel is now headed into a second wave, which already has higher infection rates than the first one. At this time there are 32,500 identified cases with 1,320 added in the last 24h. Limitations on public life and business operations are being reinstated rapidly. Hospitals expect large numbers of COVID-19 patients requiring treatment to be admitted in the coming two weeks, already closed COVID-19 wards are being reopened at this very moment. It is possible that appointments for ambulant trial patients to hospital departments may be curtailed or discouraged sometime in the near future, as we have seen in the first wave.
    other names i have posted under: none

Opening schools is definitely important. Kids need to have that kind of structure in their lives. It will not be *normal* for anyone for a long time. This has to be done, but very carefully, and if whatever the school is doing, if it isn't working, they have to close again and figure out a better way. We cannot allow the kids to be vectors. On the same general subject, why in hell are professional sports starting? Already many of the athletes are testing positive. I predict that while sports may start (or may not) the seasons will be halted early on. They should never have planned this way, much as we all miss professional sports, this is foolish.
    People may be surprised to hear this from me, but as a teacher, I want to go back to school, face-to-face.

The district sent out a survey to us teachers, and I checked the face-to-face box, but I also checked a lot of boxes for mandated precautions by students and teachers.

It will be nearly impossible to have 6 foot social distancing in the classrooms, unless kids come to school in shifts, which would be a transportation nightmare and cause longer days for teachers or shorter days for students. I did not check the 6 foot box, but that certainly concerns me, a lot. (I heard UNC is mandating a 3 foot distance. How'd they come up with that?)

I think, if they enhance the air filtration system (UV light or Super filters replaced often?), mandate masks for all, initiate hand cleaning protocols often, and maybe even temperature tests, I'd feel a lot better. I'd also like to be told, if anyone in my building caught it.

Just a few major problems:
    1) Lunch: Talk is the students will have to eat lunch in the classroom to avoid large and dense groupings. This means teachers get no lunch break free of supervising students.
    2) Students who want online learning or need it. As a teacher, I spent way more time teaching online than I did in the classroom. If I have to do both, I may quit, unless I get paid a ton more, which isn't happening due to projected budget shortfalls. (We aren't even getting our step raises- a first.)
    3) Buses: talk about packed sardines.
    4) Huge budget shortfalls for every school district may mean less teachers and higher student-teacher ratios when we need lower.
    5) What happens when a teacher gets sick? Do they have to use their sick time, of should this count as workman's comp?

I'm sure there is more.

Our governor ordered all schools to open face-to-face in August with very few exceptions.

Here's an official reply to the media by my district:

Today’s announcement from the TEA is disappointing because the guidance, as written, does not provide local school districts with the flexibility to make decisions based on local data or community and staff values and expectations.

Specifically, the announcement that “on-campus instruction must be offered for all grades served by the campus every day for every student whose parents want them to access on-campus instruction” does not allow local school officials the ability to effectively address teacher well-being or space limitations due to necessary social distancing. In fact, the guidelines, as written, provide for a reduction in funding for school districts that might not be able to provide on-campus instruction every day or if students must be on a part-time schedule to limit the number students in a classroom at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Well it's not all fun and games. Total hospitalizations yesterday went up from about 69 to about 85. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. We also paused stage 3 or reopening as a precaution, and our 14 day mandatory quarantine now applies to 20 states.

I am in the last week of my two week self quarantine and I was excited to go into the office for the first time next Monday since starting my internship, but they shut it down after somebody who was in the office on Monday showed symptoms. A final decision about how long to close the office will be made after test results come back. It's not like we're living our lives freely again. Masks are still required everywhere, and I enjoy wearing a mask so much, I just might do it for the next few years
    Unfortunately, until there is a vaccine, herd immunity, or the virus just dies off, we won't be living our lives completely freely again. What happens in Texas, Florida, and other states that are spiking affects the whole country, not just those states. We just hope that the states that are looking really good right now continue to do so.

Texas had been at 22%.

What's interesting is that one of the many guidelines to reopening was that the positive rate being below 10%. Texas actually advanced to the next phase when it was over 20%!
    Yes, if I'm not mistaken, GA was pretty high up there too when they were one of the first states to reopen. I understand fully the need to reopen, but I still wish we could have had a little more patience in doing so.

1. I agree that kids need to be in school physically. They are worse off being kept at home than they would be going back to school, with what should be minimal risks. I have a really hard time seeing how most schools are going to be able to return to normal schedules and maintain any kind of social distancing though.

2. I think that most felt like the return of sports would be healthy for our country. The process of getting sports teams into action began way before the second round of spikes started happening. In theory, I think it's a great idea. Realistically, I don't know how well they'll be able to pull it off unless the players agree to self quarantine for the most part.