Register now to remove this ad

Thread: War on WAR

Deity

War on WAR

I'm doing this on the Talk Sox forum because I'm focusing on just one guy, Rafael Devers, and one team the Sox.

I've tended to view WAR favorably because it does try to include the whole player in that one stat.

But I just looked at the Sox stats to date and discovered that so far Rafael Devers is absolute poison for the Sox with a WAR of -0.8, which is easily the worst on the team. Next worse is JDM at -.5 and after him Peraza at -0.4.

Granted, he has 9 errors, but he also is second on the team in total bases--59 to Bogie's 66--3d in RBI's, and 4th among regulars in OPS.

Meanwhile, every single pitcher on the Sox woebegone staff has a better WAR than Devers. Please don't tell me that's apple and oranges because the whole idea of WAR--wins above replacement--is to allow comparisons between all players.

Anybody want to join my war on WAR?

Legend
    SSS Small Sample Size

Rafael Devers has posted a negative 0.1 fWAR and a negative 0.8 bWAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I'm doing this on the Talk Sox forum because I'm focusing on just one guy, Rafael Devers, and one team the Sox.

I've tended to view WAR favorably because it does try to include the whole player in that one stat.

But I just looked at the Sox stats to date and discovered that so far Rafael Devers is absolute poison for the Sox with a WAR of -0.8, which is easily the worst on the team. Next worse is JDM at -.5 and after him Peraza at -0.4.

Granted, he has 9 errors, but he also is second on the team in total bases--59 to Bogie's 66--3d in RBI's, and 4th among regulars in OPS.

Meanwhile, every single pitcher on the Sox woebegone staff has a better WAR than Devers. Please don't to ell me that's apple and oranges because the whole idea of WAR--wins above replacement--is to allow comparisons between all players.

Anybody want to join my war on WAR?
    Maxie , This thread is so nice , you can put it up twice . Anyway , Devers will be fine . In this strangest of seasons , we should take these stats with the proverbial grain of salt. WAR certainly included.

I think we've been through the pros and cons of WAR enough times.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think we've been through the pros and cons of WAR enough times.
    No accounting for clutch, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Devers: -.1 fWAR
    JD: -.5 fWAR
    Beni: -.5 fWAR

Osich/Godley/Walden/Barnes/Webber/Brewer/Springs all have worse fWAR than Devers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Meanwhile, every single pitcher on the Sox woebegone staff has a better WAR than Devers. Please don't tell me that's apple and oranges because the whole idea of WAR--wins above replacement--is to allow comparisons between all players.
    It allows for comparisons between all players, but you have to allow for differences in volume, for example, you can't compare a pitcher with 50 innings to a pitcher with 5 innings, apples-to-apples.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

@SoxNotes
    Yesterday was the 3rd time Rafael Devers had 4 hits and 2 HR in a game. The only players with 3 such games before turning 24 years old are:

Mel Ott (3; 1929-32)
    Al Kaline (3; 1955-57)
    Rafael Devers (3; 2018-20)
    Carlos Correa (3; 2016-17)

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @SoxNotes
    Yesterday was the 3rd time Rafael Devers had 4 hits and 2 HR in a game. The only players with 3 such games before turning 24 years old are:

Mel Ott (3; 1929-32)
    Al Kaline (3; 1955-57)
    Rafael Devers (3; 2018-20)
    Carlos Correa (3; 2016-17)
    Hours before Sunday's game I tried to convince a rival owner in my fantasy baseball league that Kyle Seager was an upgrade over Rafael Devers.