Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2020 offseason thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Dalbec replaced Chavis as the hope for the next home grown power hitter.
    I do not think anyone thought Chavis was the next home grown power hitter...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    When he came up, that was the hope. Either he, Ockimey or Dalbec would be the answer at 1b. Chavis has flopped. Ockimey isn’t the answer. Dalbec is the last hope before they fill the position externally. Dalbec, though, comes with good defensive chops at another position too

To be fair, many did think that when he first came up and hit all those home runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    To be fair, many did think that when he first came up and hit all those home runs.
    IDK... He was such an afterthought as a prospect due to his injury issues. He almost became #1 prospect by default. Groome had fallen off due to his injuries. Mata/Casas was just too far away. Houck was seen as a reliever. Beeks was just a guy. When a top 10 still includes Josh Ockimey, you knew the farm was in trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Also, being suspended for PED's in 2018, certainly put his status in question. I'm not sure there were too many people thinking he'd be a long term solution in BOS (even when he started out hot in 2019).

Chavis also became irrelevant once teams saw his weaknesses. His weakness doesn’t translate to the league right now. Can’t hit high end velo. Can’t hit anything fast and up in the zone. Take him and put him in the league 30 years ago and he’s an MVP candidate

Chavis also became irrelevant once teams saw his weaknesses. His weakness doesn’t translate to the league right now. Can’t hit high end velo. Can’t hit anything fast and up in the zone. Take him and put him in the league 30 years ago and he’s an MVP candidate
    The warning sign was when his k rate went to 25% in AA after the PED suspension in 2018. Without a SLG above 500, he's useless with that OBP.

Exactly. That’s why he’s likely your starting 2b. If he can get hot for a couple months, he will be worth more at a defense minus position.

Pitchers had better breaking stuff and other offspeed pitches back then. He still would have sucked. Nolan Ryan never would have been legend he became without a curveball that was otherworldly.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Pitchers had better breaking stuff and other offspeed pitches back then. He still would have sucked. Nolan Ryan never would have been legend he became without a curveball that was otherworldly.
    Chavis destroys breaking balls. Demolishes them. He loves off speed pitches. There were far more “crafty” pitchers around in the 80s-90s

Exactly. That’s why he’s likely your starting 2b. If he can get hot for a couple months, he will be worth more at a defense minus position.
    I think he's more likely to start for WOO than BOS. I think the Sox are more likely to either go with Arroyo or get a capable 2b FA on a short deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think he's more likely to start for WOO than BOS. I think the Sox are more likely to either go with Arroyo or get a capable 2b FA on a short deal.
    Could be, but you have to remember that your GM is a value oriented team builder in a year where he’s not actively trying to compete. Building Chavis’ value will be more important than a D first gap filler

Linking Chavis, Dalbec & Ockimey into one group due to their power and high K rates is misleading, and even in the power category, Dalbec is significantly better in slugging %.

Dalbec has two things going for him that the others are far behind:

1) OBP
    Dalbec .359 MLB (92 PAs)/ .362 minors (1609 PAs)
    Chavis .304 MLB (540 PAs)/.325 minors (1757 PAs)
    Ockimey n/a MLB/ .360 minors (2353 PAs)

2) Defense
    Most accounts show Dalbec as the better defender.

On K rates and SLG%:

SLG:
    Dalbec .600 MLB/ .505 minors
    Chavis .424 MLB/ .471 minors
    Ockimey n/a MLB/ .429 minors

K Rate:
    Dalbec 43% MLB/ 30% minors
    Chavis 33% MLB/ 26% minors
    Ockimey n/a MLB/ 29% minors
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Could be, but you have to remember that your GM is a value oriented team builder in a year where he’s not actively trying to compete. Building Chavis’ value will be more important than a D first gap filler
    As of now, I also see Chavis as the opening day starting 2Bman- not necessarily to build value, but because he offers the most hope for being an overall plus.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Not a fan of this deal. Our rotation beyond Cole is just a bunch of question marks, and now Kluber is one more.
    I agree; the Yankees starting rotation is laughable, this is not how you build a championship team. You can see this train wreck coming from a mile away.

Kluber is a broken down piece of garbage and the Yankees are paying him 11 m. LOL.