Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 103 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2022: Part III

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The Harley and the Triumph will hold their value a long time.

Ballplayers aren't quite as reliable.
    Ha! That a sportster will hold its value a long time will come as news to anyone who has actually owned one!
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Ha! That a sportster will hold its value a long time will come as news to anyone who has actually owned one!
    The Harley will though, if it's well maintained, right?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

The Harley will though, if it's well maintained, right?
    I don't know about the new ones, but mine, alas, taught me far more about mechanics than I ever needed or wished to know.`I suspect it had a shorter life than most MLB careers (but it did go fast [in every sense I guess]!)
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

What's more realistic in the next two months:

1. Bloom will ship prospects for a closer...

2. Bloom will receive actual prospects for JD, Eovaldi and Wacha -- who may never have more peak value, this high, again...

3. Bloom will get what he can for Kike, Vazquez, Hill, and anyone else on a one-year contract...

4. Bloom will land a really good prospect for Xander Bogaerts...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

2. Bloom will receive actual prospects for JD, Eovaldi and Wacha -- who may never have more peak value, this high, again...

3. Bloom will get what he can for Kike, Vazquez, Hill, and anyone else on a one-year contract...

2>3>4>1

I think Wacha is the most likely to be traded and JD is a valuable asset for sure. I think Kiké has value at the deadline to a contending team. Not sure they really want to deal Xander. I don't think they trade for a "closer." I bet they make a deal for a reliever who ends up closing, but it's someone we are underwhelmed with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    2>3>4>1

I think Wacha is the most likely to be traded and JD is a valuable asset for sure. I think Kiké has value at the deadline to a contending team. Not sure they really want to deal Xander. I don't think they trade for a "closer." I bet they make a deal for a reliever who ends up closing, but it's someone we are underwhelmed with.
    I actually had the same order as you. But I do think a mutual understanding is coming with X-man, and that he'll be open to showcasing his skills for a contender if it comes to that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

If hang 'em chaim is shipping out bogey, jd, eo, wach, kike, vaz and hill, why would he trade for a closer?

The best players are very expensive to sign and to keep. And it gets more expensive all the time. And there is a pretty good chance that , sooner or later , the player will not be worth it. But this is the big freakin' leagues. If you want to play big time baseball , you should be willing to pay . Planning to replace expensive talent like Betts and Devers by building the farm is a longshot at best.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The best players are very expensive to sign and to keep. And it gets more expensive all the time. And there is a pretty good chance that , sooner or later , the player will not be worth it. But this is the big freakin' leagues. If you want to play big time baseball , you should be willing to pay . Planning to replace expensive talent like Betts and Devers by building the farm is a longshot at best.

The Sox have shown a willingness to pay. They have had a top 5 payroll every year for a couple of decades now.

The problem is they (or any team) just can’t pay everyone. And when you pay Player A, it can sometimes make it difficult to pay Player B. Other teams do this quite often as well. Didn’t you notice the roster juggling the Dodgers did to replace Kelsey Jansen with Craig Kimbrel?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Sox have shown a willingness to pay. They have had a top 5 payroll every year for a couple of decades now.

The problem is they (or any team) just can’t pay everyone. And when you pay Player A, it can sometimes make it difficult to pay Player B. Other teams do this quite often as well. Didn’t you notice the roster juggling the Dodgers did to replace Kelsey Jansen with Craig Kimbrel?
    Nah, Henry has gone cheap on us - how far do you expect to go on a $240 million payroll?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Nah, Henry has gone cheap on us - how far do you expect to go on a $240 million payroll?
    A 40 man roster full of Jake Diekmans.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    We’ve gone through this payroll stuff many times. Most of the payroll has come before the Bloom arrival. Let’s see where things stand to start the season 2023. That will be the telltale.

The problem is they (or any team) just can’t pay everyone. And when you pay Player A, it can sometimes make it difficult to pay Player B. Other teams do this quite often as well. Didn’t you notice the roster juggling the Dodgers did to replace Kenley Jansen with Craig Kimbrel?
    It's a difficult balancing act, but you just need to figure out who to pay and who to move on from. No, you can't keep everyone.
    I get MV Pee.

That's right . The Sox have one of the big payrolls. And they have been successful. It's only in the last three or four years that we hear all the talk that they can't afford this guy or that guy. A lot of fans have still not gotten over losing Mookie.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    And guys like Betts and Devers make money for the club off the field through advertising. As long as they aren't complete dogs by they time they are 32, the contracts are fine.
    I get MV Pee.