Register now to remove this ad

Page 16 of 78 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Dombrowski

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    You’re both being irrational. But mvp was more well-rounded...
    I am the most well rounded as I like to eat my pie.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    The arguments that Ben was a good GM always remind me of prizefighters with broken noses and bleeding from cuts complaining that they should have won the fight because they claim that the other guy never laid a glove on them. The assertion is ridiculous.
    Let me know when that prizefighter is on a duck boat through the streets of Boston.
    While on the subject of duck boats...When DD is on one he can stop being Ben’s coffee boy....
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Dombrowski may have overpaid for Kimbrel. But look at what Ben went through in pursuit of a closer. Bailey, Hanrahan, Melancon...that was a lot of hard work and transactions and some money gone before finally something went right and Koji took over in mid-2013.
    To be fair, Bailey and Hanrahan got hurt. If nothing else, when it comes to acquiring injured closets, both GMs have a lot in common...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The thing about a 5 year plan is that it takes 5 years.
    The thing about a 5 year plan in a major media market is that you never GET 5 years.

Cherington chose the wrong plan and then executed it poorly -- or did I miss that rush of young promising stud arms we had that were about to break through to the big league roster in the following 3 seasons and take the universe by storm?

He'd had 4 years of that 5. and despite the fluky WS we were not particularly close to a revolutionary youth movement in the rotation where we needed it most. Not were we close to winning that next World Series that is always ownership's goal.

Quite frankly the 5 year plan failed so spectacularly that ownership didn't need the fifth and final year to know that this wasn't going to turn around. The youth movement was nowhere to be seen on the pitching side of the ball. We had some nice ballplayers on the offensive side, but you can't win a 5 year plan by only staffing your positions.

If you can't develop pitchers from the farm, and Cherington's track record of doing this is very, VERY bad, then you can't develop from the farm and you NEED to be a buyer in free agency. Cherington was refusing to do that. He was failing to crap and refusing to get off the pot. He was replaced by someone who saw reality rather than being blinded by a failed plan. It's really just that simple.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Sale would be part of the 2016 pitching staff. I don't know who the closer would have been, but it wouldn't have been Kimbrel.

And I would hope that Ben would stick with the 'not signing pitchers over 30 to big contracts' philosophy.
    Ben would have traded for Sale a year early?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Spending $31 x 7 was fucking dumb and may go down as the worst contract of all time.
    I bet Ben would have signed Cueto instead and saved us $100MM....

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Spending $31 x 7 was fucking dumb and may go down as the worst contract of all time.
    He should have re-signed Lester and saved us $150 million, but he didn't, because he knew jackshit about pitching.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Lowballing Lester was unforgivable. I have no doubt we could have landed Porcello in another trade. Having Lester and Porcello would have been a great start at rebuilding the rotation. It was a total whiff to lose out on a steady dependable ace starter. There was no reason to lowball the man. He was worth the money he was asking.

Imagine having Lester instead of Price right now, and for far less money. Yeah, that one's directly on Cherington.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Whoever it was, fuck the guy that let Lester go...
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Whoever it was, fuck the guy that let Lester go...
    Agreed.

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Lowballing Lester was unforgivable. I have no doubt we could have landed Porcello in another trade. Having Lester and Porcello would have been a great start at rebuilding the rotation. It was a total whiff to lose out on a steady dependable ace starter. There was no reason to lowball the man. He was worth the money he was asking.

Imagine having Lester instead of Price right now, and for far less money. Yeah, that one's directly on Cherington.
    I'm going to have to have proof on that one. If you're right I'll no longer stick up for Cherington because I thought he did a good job whos talent he drafted turned out to be good picks, including Shaw. I also don't think he was responsible for Panda or Hanley, but was pressured into it for lack of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Price is giving you some value. I think the Ellsbury and Pujols contracts are far worse. Those guys turned into either a sub replacement level player (Pujols) or a tin man who stopped being productive in Ells

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Price is giving you some value. I think the Ellsbury and Pujols contracts are far worse. Those guys turned into either a sub replacement level player (Pujols) or a tin man who stopped being productive in Ells
    What about that 5 year $95M to Sandoval? Fuck DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What about that 5 year $95M to Sandoval? Fuck DD.
    Panda was a Ben signing.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

As bad as the Sox pitching prospects have beenas far back as Rheo's last few years, other GMs sure have fallen in love with many of them.

Kelly was a big piece in geting us AGon (AGon enabled the Dodger dump trade to happen.)

Kopech helped us get Sale.

Espinoza got us Pom

Logan Allen helped towards Kimbrel.

Nogasek helped on A Reed

Frank Montas, J Aro, Ranaudo, Alex Wilson, Pennington and others.