Register now to remove this ad

Page 139 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139
Results 2,071 to 2,083 of 2083

Thread: 10/26 World Series game 3

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Erod threw last night and isn’t stretched out. He won’t start after throwing in relief, unless the Sox start him and plan for a pen by committee day.
    E-Rod plus bullpen is it, I would wager.

Did Smoltz pronounce Faux as -fox- instead of -foe- last night?

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    You think the dodgers players are not tired as well? This team has been relisient all year. I will be shocked if we don’t see a good effort later on.
    It will all depend how E Rod plays. But yes I’m not too worried about the bats. Last night was something extremely rare. Boston will rebound.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    So the best MLB Network could come with for this post game was Pedro saying:
    "Well you know, its Friday the 13 and close to Halloween".

Ah no Pedro, its not Friday the 13th.

Other than all agreeing that Buehler pitched well, that Eo emerges the true champion here and that Kinsler should have set his feet because he had plenty of time to throw, they are not touching the real issues of that shit show. They won't touch it with a ten foot pole. I am not just frustrated. You must all know I am because i have been about as vocal here as it gets about this nonsense direction that MLB has taken. Now I'm disgusted. I'm embarrassed. I'm embarrassed for myself and for MLB. Proud of the MLB players who played in this mess who for all the criticism I send in their direction are simply the clowns in this MLB circus. They are just reading the winds of change and understanding the intentions of MLB and trying to comply. I wanna' be sick. I am sick. Not likely to recover no matter who wins this mess this year unless Manfred does something to rescue the MLB game.

How do I explain this mess to somebody not as "aware" of this game as I am who asks me "what the fuck was that". Christ I am having trouble explaining it to my own son and he knows exactly how I feel about this shit.
    What exactly was MLB supposed to do here? Force both teams to get more hits?
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    What exactly was MLB supposed to do here? Force both teams to get more hits?
    No, has nothing to do with compelling more hits in an individual game. It is clear as day that MLB is trying to force what is a multi-demensional game to be a one dimensional power game. The result is buckets of K's and weak pop ups. The circumstance is exacerbated in the NL where insistence on keeping a spot in the batting order for the Pitcher has had the exact opposite effect they claim it has. They are NOT playing a purer game in the NL. If anything EVERYBODY tries to fence crash ahead of the Pitcher's spot in the order. Did you watch the NLCS shit show? So now while it is the NL that would have to decide to abandon its "Pitcher Hits" format, they are clearly today completely at odds with its own administration which is the MLB. Everything MLB has done in the last ten, maybe fifteen years pushes the game away from the NL format:
    - You can start with MLB's inability to deal sanely with DH v no DH. Either get NL to comply with the DH(which makes more sense given every other nonsensical direction MLB has been heading this game) or send the AL back to holding a spot open for the Pitcher to hit in the batting order
    - the juiced baseball, the Overload, the rules around the bases....all of it is the MLB intention to turn the multi-dimensional game of baseball into a one dimensional power game. The NL version of the game is simply heading for the cliff edge faster than the AL game. But both are headed for the cliff edge
    - the reality of the contemporary NL game because there is a spot in the batting order for the Pitcher. Its now utterly devoid of anything other than hitters trying to hit HR's and the incredible number of K's and weak pop ups that result. Holding a spot open in the order for a Pitcher is entirely contrary to the direction the MLB administrators are heading this game. The result is that it is a game fighting with itself and it is displayed on the field in every game where the NL is a participant whether an NL league game or even in the very championship of MLB. The NLCS was a complete shit show this year
    - MLB's acquiescence to the Overload which MLB loves because it encourages hitters to hit over it was very much on display last night. Infielders no longer exhibit the agility that has described the baseball infielder for over 100 years! They are stationed in some spot by a computer geek. Just put a lawn chair out there with a basket on it. That is where that is going....its stupid
    - the stupid ignorant plastic bases which is how JD hurt his ankle. Why in Gods name does MLB, the pinnacle of the game insist on using plastic bases...stupid again
    - the very obvious issue of their stupid new rules around the bases that do not spare infielders injury. Just as Pedey claims, they simply give players a false sense of security when there in fact is none thus resulting in just as much injury. Combined with the Overload, infielders no longer exhibit the agility they should exhibit. They no longer exhibit good footwork. They are not even good infielders...They are "good" infielders within the context of a league full of overgrown players, football tight ends that simply do not exhibit agility.... Its stupid!!!!
    - Consequence....7 hour baseball games???? 7 hours. How many fans were lost last night. How many simply said, this is insanity. Anybody that thinks MLB broke even or gained fans last night needs his head examined. In the main fans that will remain interested in their showcase, the WS will be the actual fans of LA and Boston. People are not going to simply commit themselves to such nonsense without a serious rooting interest
    - to what extent was every financial influence on MLB desperately trying to push this to a longer series than the two teams warrant on the merits. Frankly, this LA team does not belong on the same field with this Red Sox team mainly because the AL is the last bastion of actual baseball in MLB (see comment above about the result of NL continuing to hold a spot in the batting order for the Pitcher). To what extent did the desire to lengthen out this series influence the umpiring and the entirety of Fox Network and MLB administration itself trying to will the Dodgers to win that game?

That was an utter and complete shit show and its high time Manfred realize it and whether covertly or overtly reverse the course of MLB before its too late. Its probably already too late!

While anybody that has read my posts knows I have been warning about all of this crap, I never thought I would see every single issue of MLB and NL ignorance and administrative and marketing stupidity on display in one single WS series leading to 7 hours of pure nonsense.
    Last edited by jung; 10-27-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Baseball probably lost as many fans last night as they did after Game 7 of the 1991 series. That is to say, none. No one is going to stop watching baseball forever because of one 7-hour game with little offense. I can understand some of your points, but most of them are either personal opinions or straight-up conspiracy theories. If MLB is trying to drag out the series for ratings, why didn't they do that with the Sox-Yankees ALDS? Why didn't they do it in 2004 when the Sox were in their first World Series since 1986? Why didn't they do it for a dozen other series over the last few years that ended in sweeps or 4-1 series victories?

It was a bad day for the Sox offense, that's all. Mookie continued his postseason unreliability, and a few other guys had equally frustrating days at the plate. It happens. It's unfortunate that it had to happen in a WS game, but you can't predict that sort of thing. Put it behind you and win the next one, that's why it's a 7-game series. Blaming the length of the game on some grand conspiracy by MLB and acting like this is the death knell of baseball is silly. People have been claiming baseball is "dying" for the last 15 years and it's not going anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    Baseball probably lost as many fans last night as they did after Game 7 of the 1991 series. That is to say, none. No one is going to stop watching baseball forever because of one 7-hour game with little offense. I can understand some of your points, but most of them are either personal opinions or straight-up conspiracy theories. If MLB is trying to drag out the series for ratings, why didn't they do that with the Sox-Yankees ALDS? Why didn't they do it in 2004 when the Sox were in their first World Series since 1986? Why didn't they do it for a dozen other series over the last few years that ended in sweeps or 4-1 series victories?

It was a bad day for the Sox offense, that's all. Mookie continued his postseason unreliability, and a few other guys had equally frustrating days at the plate. It happens. It's unfortunate that it had to happen in a WS game, but you can't predict that sort of thing. Put it behind you and win the next one, that's why it's a 7-game series. Blaming the length of the game on some grand conspiracy by MLB and acting like this is the death knell of baseball is silly. People have been claiming baseball is "dying" for the last 15 years and it's not going anywhere.
    Sorry but if you think people will sit around for hours to watch endless streams of HR's, K's and weak pop ups, I simply do not know what to say. That is where this game is going and its going there by MLB rule, mandate, action and acuquiecense. If you deny that is where it is and has been going, I would question your vision or your understanding of the year over year stats. I suppose you could call my concerns about the fanbase an opinion. I would buy that. But frankly, I suspect simple common sense says that given contemporary societal changes, the number of "fans" that will stand for what is outright nonsense will diminish.

I did not say with specificity that there is a conspiracy afoot. There does not have to be a conspiracy afoot to push MLB one way or the other. Are the MLB players conspiring with MLB to push this launch angle nonsense? Of course they aren't. They are simply sticking their fingers in the air and recognizing which direction the wind is blowing. Does not change the momentum of what is actually happening though does it?

This is headed to a place that is not baseball. This is becoming glorified Home Run Derby, which if you are old enough to remember it was an utterly boring, utterly disinteresting show that died a natural death within a couple seasons of inception and well it should have!

We participants at Baseball forums don't make up a market. We are a pimple on a mosquito's ding dong as far as the market needed to support a multi-billion dollar enterprise goes. The days of baseball being "the National Pastime" are long gone. Pastimes that don't involve a keyboard or a game controller are for the most part long gone. Year by year baseball struggles to maintain its traditional fan base and keep attracting new fans. When the baby boomers die off, I simply have no clue what they will do given the direction of MLB administration coupled with the unwieldy structure of two leagues allowed to play under their own format all the way up to dividing up the WS format between them.
    Last edited by jung; 10-27-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Deity
    Just to sharpen the point even farther, ratings for games 1 and 2 of the 2018 WS are down significantly from the 2017 ratings for games 1 and 2 even with the expected large market draws of Boston v LA. Game 3, was down again from game 3 of the 2017 WS and promptly slid right of the cliff edge as the hours passed.

The game was so long that I got a little punchy in the extra innings. How did Vasquez end up at 1B for Moreland?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

The game was so long that I got a little punchy in the extra innings. How did Vasquez end up at 1B for Moreland?
    I'm thinking either Moreland got hurt (again), or they really wanted Sandy behind the plate as Vaz was tiring.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the move of pinch-running for your slugger backfires more often than it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I could be wrong, but it seems like the move of pinch-running for your slugger backfires more often than it works out.
    I would be curious if there was a stat for this and to see how it works out. I am usually against it unless it’s an emergency situation. For example, down with 2 outs and runner on first and you need a steal, or something along those lines.

Double switch in whatever inning it was. Leon rewarded Cora with a double his first time up but the top of the order did nothing with it.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough