Register now to remove this ad

Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox have fired GM Dave Dombrowski

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He did there almost exactly what he did here. He went on a spending spree with players like Victor Martinez and Prince Fielder and his massive extensions to Justin Verlander and then the phenomenal one to Miguel Cabrera, who is still owed $94 mill for the next 3 seasons, which is an awful lot for a beaten-down league average (OPS+ of 100 since 2017) hitter with no defensive abilities to speak of.

They had a very good run, but when it comes to Dombrowski, that type of run ends with a smattering of blood, guts and aging mega-million dollar contracts. He just seems to make every deal with only "the now" in mind and then hopes tomorrow never comes...
    At the time, it was reported that Illitch wanted the Prince Fielder extension not Dombo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I think that when you win an unprecedented three straight A.L. East titles and one World Championship , it should be considered a success . No real need to follow up with " but , but this , that and the other thing.
    it really is a done deal. Some interesting posts to read today. It seems that in hindsight there is at least a little agreement thinking that we likely would not have accomplished what we did without the trades made by DD. it also seems that some feel that if none of the trades were made we might be better today than we currently are but still not all that good. Most seem to think that our farm system would look stronger. This is where things get interesting for me. If your farm does not develop the quality that it takes to win, then trades need to be made. That is one of the purposes the farm serves. Stockpiling mediocrity just isn't good enough. pretty sure Bloom knows this just as well as he knows that we are in a search for quality pitching.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    At the time, it was reported that Illitch wanted the Prince Fielder extension not Dombo.
    Well, just as I blame Cherington for Sandoval and Hanley, I blame Dombrowski for Fielder.

And Fielder lingered on the market forever that off-season. Dombrowski did not even sign him until Victor Martinez was ruled out for the year, which was in February, I believe. So if Ilitch got involved, he got involved really late.

It seemed a little odd to go all in on a replacement player with a deal twice as long as the guy he was replacing. (And forced the most awful position alignment seen in the AL in decades when Miguel Cabrera was moved back to 3B.)

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Allen was a top 100 guy in 2018. He wasn't a nobody.
    To be precise, Logan Allen cracked the preseason Top 100 prospect lists in 2019 some three years after the Red Sox traded the lefthander in November 2015.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=allen-000log

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...sactions_other

I think that when you win an unprecedented three straight A.L. East titles and one World Championship , it should be considered a success . No real need to follow up with " but , but this , that and the other thing.
    Is that why you hold all of this recent misery over Bloom?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    To be precise, Logan Allen cracked the preseason Top 100 prospect lists in 2019 some three years after the Red Sox traded the lefthander in November 2015.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=allen-000log

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...sactions_other
    Well, if people are going to make the point that some of the highly valued prospects we traded were flops, then we should also count some of the lower valued prospects that moved up in value, too.

I remember there was talk about Allen during the trade and how many felt he has a lot of promise, and how maybe the deal might have been done without him.

There's always a "but."

Theo had one.
    Ben had a few.
    Tito had one.
    DD deserves one, too.

"Buts" don't negate the good things, but they also should not be buried or made unspeakable just because the great moments were so wonderful.

I'm still thrilled and grateful for what DD did, but that doesn't mean I have to sweep the consequences under a rug.

My Dombro post: I'm still satisfied the Red Sox finished first three straight years, improving each year until they had their best season ever -- which never would have culminated with ultimate success without the Pearce and Eovaldi trades. Argue all you want about subsequent signings after the 2018 World Series, but the facts are Pearce was the WS MVP, while Eovaldi -- statistically, for those who forget -- was Boston's best pitcher through the entire '18 postseason (in the past half century, of all hurlers appearing in 6 games and a minimum of 22 innings in a postseason, only two had a lower ERA, Opponent BA and WHIP – Schilling and Johnson in ’01).

As for those who suspect Dombrowski's spendings on others led to the eventual trade of Mookie, I'm not so sure. I always wondered about DD's quote -- "You can't sign'em all" -- and hoped (against all hope, as it turned out), that he wasn't referring to Betts. I sense Dave knew Mookie wouldn't be signing back in Boston, and that's maybe what drove the contracts for others instead. As has been well chronicled, Dombro knows and appreciates talent; remember, Max Scherzer turned down a massive offer in 2014, and yes, Miguel Cabrera got a massive extension. But Miggie is also a first-ballot Hall of Famer...

So is/wiil be Mookie. And it's hard to believe someone in the business as long as Dave Dombrowski didn't see and/or plan for this. After all, Betts was the best player on the best team that DD ever GMed...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    They have now reached the bottom of the barrel. All they need to do is launch madden and hire valentine and desperate Dave!
    Better the Angels than the Red Sox!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    More likely that Sox had many top prospects that didn't pan out. Our 7th pick, Trey Ball for example. You need a major league player when drafting that high.

Let's see how Bloom does with next year's 1st round pick. I like the guy. Kimmi, will he be another Theo?
    Bloom and Theo operate under the same philosophy. How well Bloom implements that philosophy remains to be seen. Based on what I've seen in Tampa and what I've seen Friedman do with the Dodgers, I am very optimistic.

I think the question is : Would the Red Sox have been better off if Dombrowski did not make the trades that he did ? To me the answer is a resounding , " No Way . " Knowing what we knew then and what we know now , I would absolutely make the trades all over again.
    The question for me is, did Dombrowski have to make all of the trades that he did early in his tenure here for the Sox to be successful? The answer for is is a resounding NO.

We could have had the best of both worlds.

Thanks Ben!

My Dombrowski thought: I would have preferred we never hired him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    My Dombrowski thought: I would have preferred we never hired him.
    I'd like to have given Ben one more year.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Is that why you hold all of this recent misery over Bloom?
    Also dgalehouse cannot handle it if anyone says anything bad about Dombrowski or good about Cherington