Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 166 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the actual rotation the worst in the last 10 Y?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Now by the end of the season, you're gonna have another addition, though. My guess is Henry Owens comes up in June and pitches well.

I think this rotation is built for additions. The rotation was built with the guise of contention. Should they all rediscover lost years, then they roll with it. Should they shit the bed, it can be dismantled quickly without big commitments. Should the sox hit the bottom of the division comes June/July, there are no current starters off limits. Porcello is a prime trade candidate since he isn't signing prior to FA. Miley is still cheap. Buccholz and Masterson are on short term deals.
    That is the way I see it as well although I doubt if Owens will be up as early as June. IMO the FO has decided that their pitching prospects are better values 2016 and beyond then any purported nbr 1 currently available. Unless they can get some one short term or on really favorable trade terms they are prepared to play at least through the All Star break with what they have and get the lay of the land then. The ALE is weak. I don't see any team projected to win 90 games or run away with a huge lead by the ASB. So I suspect the Sox brass are adopting a wait and see approach which is understandable given the overall situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    That is the way I see it as well although I doubt if Owens will be up as early as June. IMO the FO has decided that their pitching prospects are better values 2016 and beyond then any purported nbr 1 currently available. Unless they can get some one short term or on really favorable trade terms they are prepared to play at least through the All Star break with what they have and get the lay of the land then. The ALE is weak. I don't see any team projected to win 90 games or run away with a huge lead by the ASB. So I suspect the Sox brass are adopting a wait and see approach which is understandable given the overall situation.
    I hear people saying this but Baltimore is still quite formidable. They have quality starters and a lineup that should score a bunch of runs even with the loss of the juicer's 40 hr.

Machado, Weiters, and Davis are due back. If all three of them return to play to norms, that team can win the East easily. If they don't, they are about as good as other ALE teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I hear people saying this but Baltimore is still quite formidable. They have quality starters and a lineup that should score a bunch of runs even with the loss of the juicer's 40 hr.

Machado, Weiters, and Davis are due back. If all three of them return to play to norms, that team can win the East easily. If they don't, they are about as good as other ALE teams.
    I agree. The O's could roll over the rest of the division.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Yes the O's are better than the rest of the pack but the loss of Miller and Markakus will be felt here in "Charm City" I just don't see the O's are that formidable.

Davis' career rates actually averages out to an .815 OPS. Wieters .743, and and Machado is really an unknown, although he's highly projectable. If you ask me, they lost more than they'll gain, especially in the ability to get on base, and the Blue Jays look like the more complete team.

All of this is hogwash if the Sox get a #1 and the lineup stays healthy, as they'll be the ones steamrolling the East.
    We miss you Mike.

No Nelson Cruz too. Right?

I forgot that Cruz left. They need some OF help.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

The O's have an excellent GM, an excellent manager, and a cheap owner.

I qualified my post. Like most teams the O's have their share of "Ifs".

Yes, they will surely miss 40 hr from Cruze.

They still need at least one OF. My guess is Rasmus. But there is speculation that the O's will go with an internal option.

The Jays made some noise getting Martin and Donaldson. Not sure that will make THE difference. Although they certainly bolster the roster with quality D and power.

It is said that the parent corp. Rogers is not inclined to spend anymore for the upcoming season. They need more pitching.

Maybe Marcus Stoman will become a dominant pitcher? That kid has real talent from what I saw of him.

In any case, the AL East will be fun watching. There are so many Ifs on all the teams.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    I equate this thread to the waitress in Major League asking the guys how they think the Indians will do this year, and my response is these guys don't look too fucking good.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

I find no reason to try to determine where this rotation ranks among the past 10 years.

This rotations will be serviceable as long they remain healthy. Many other teams have had worse rotations and were capable of playing average to winning baseball.

A number one starter would be nice. But even with a number one there is no assurance that the Sox will make the playoffs. Certainly this rotation is not one a team would want to try a 5-7 game elimination series with.

Deity
    I'm still stuck on the Cespedes for Porcello trade. I realize every team can use a bat, but why would the Tigers give up an "up and coming" young arm for him knowing that they could also lose Scherzer. I don't think that Alex wilson is a difference maker in that trade. Detroit has been a pretty well run organization over the years. They had to have felt that Porcello was expendable. I'm thinking that Scherzer winds up back in Detroit but still that is an interesting trade from their perspective. Porcello pitched well last year. I hope he does the same for us. If he has top of the rotation potential or even your number 2, they must have some great arms ready to go. If he is anywhere near as good as we tend to think that he will be, I don't think that I would have made that deal.

I find no reason to try to determine where this rotation ranks among the past 10 years.

This rotations will be serviceable as long they remain healthy. Many other teams have had worse rotations and were capable of playing average to winning baseball.

A number one starter would be nice. But even with a number one there is no assurance that the Sox will make the playoffs. Certainly this rotation is not one a team would want to try a 5-7 game elimination series with.
    2013 proved that anything can happen despite preseason prognostications. 2014 proved that Cherington is not a mastermind with a golden touch that had hit on a great formula for lasting success.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm still stuck on the Cespedes for Porcello trade. I realize every team can use a bat, but why would the Tigers give up an "up and coming" young arm for him knowing that they could also lose Scherzer. I don't think that Alex wilson is a difference maker in that trade. Detroit has been a pretty well run organization over the years. They had to have felt that Porcello was expendable. I'm thinking that Scherzer winds up back in Detroit but still that is an interesting trade from their perspective. Porcello pitched well last year. I hope he does the same for us. If he has top of the rotation potential or even your number 2, they must have some great arms ready to go. If he is anywhere near as good as we tend to think that he will be, I don't think that I would have made that deal.

Of course we are not privy to what the Tigers FO is thinking so we can only assume and speculate. I suspect that they believed that they needed an OF bat more than a RH starting pitcher. Both players hit the FA market after the 2015 season so that is a wash, sort of.

I do hope that the Sox are fully aware of any health concerns with Porcello. It would suck big time if he is damaged goods like Graig, for example.

I am on record as being a fan of sorts of Porcello. Mostly because I remember him pitching well against the Sox.

I think that we are making too much of the deals for these guys. Above all, the Sox got younger. That is key for many reasons.

Deity
    Of course we are not privy to what the Tigers FO is thinking so we can only assume and speculate. I suspect that they believed that they needed an OF bat more than a RH starting pitcher. Both players hit the FA market after the 2015 season so that is a wash, sort of.

I do hope that the Sox are fully aware of any health concerns with Porcello. It would suck big time if he is damaged goods like Graig, for example.

I am on record as being a fan of sorts of Porcello. Mostly because I remember him pitching well against the Sox.

I think that we are making too much of the deals for these guys. Above all, the Sox got younger. That is key for many reasons.
    He is young and looks like he is on the way up. I know that free agency is in both their futures. It is probably me but I just think I would not give up a quality arm for Cespedes unless I had a pretty good stable of young arms on the way. The old adage that you never can have too much pitching is a truism deluxe. I am happy we got him. Maybe Ben C. is the real deal. If he is, he will make 1 more big move I think. (I hope)