Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 433 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2024: Part I

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He was the best player on the team.

33 HR
    100 RBI

Those are numbers that old school guys used to like?
    Those numbers are good on paper, but by watching the games did it really seem he was that good as those numbers suggest?

We need the rotation to be better. Pivetta can barely even get a QS every few games.
    The rotation stunk, but mainly because we had no one who was better than a #3.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    [QUOTE=mvp 78;1567502]Sale will definitely be in the rotation.

Bello
    Acquisition
    Sale
    Crawford
    Pivetta

That's what it's going to look like. You can write it down apparently if you guys want Pivetta in the rotation.[/QUOTE
    So adding one more starter from the outside is going to make this team that much better? I don’t want Sale in the rotation, because at some point you’re going to have to replace him anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Those numbers are good on paper, but by watching the games did it really seem he was that good as those numbers suggest?
    It's good to know that your eye test supersedes both old school counting stats and new school metrics. Literally any argument you will come up with is supported by "well, that's what I saw so it must be true."

What I SAW out of Raffy was that he remains one of the best hitters in the game. He hits the absolute piss out of the ball more often than every other batter. If he was in Philly, he'd probably hit 50 HR's every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The rotation stunk, but mainly because we had no one who was better than a #3.
    With Sale, if you can slot him in as the #5 it give you hope that he can be a mid rotation starter playing up. Pivetta is just a #5. Let's get more out of the rotation.

It should be:

Yamamoto
    Bello
    Montgomery
    Crawford
    Sale

Sale is a better pitcher than Crawford, but you can't count on him to carry the load for 32 games.

If Wikelman can keep marching along, adding him to the rotation in the 2nd half could be a big improvement. Maybe he can slide in for Sale? Maybe he slides in for Crawford if Sale is actually still pitching well? Monegro/Perales are still late 25 at the earliest. Those are the only high octane guys in the minors right now in sniffing distance of a rotation spot that could be better what Crawford already is.

Deity
    Sale will definitely be in the rotation.

Bello
    Acquisition
    Sale
    Crawford
    Pivetta

That's what it's going to look like. You can write it down apparently if you guys want Pivetta in the rotation.
    I’m thinking

Acquisition
    Acquisition
    Bello
    Crawford
    Sale

And Pivetta starts when Sale isn’t available…

Deity
    On any given day Houck, Crawford, Sale, and Pivetta can look very good. Counting on them to be decent to good every start is just ridiculous . Bello looks good in the 3 hole. We need two dependable starters in those top 2 slots. I'm not at all convinced that so and so should be in the bullpen either. By so and so, obviously I mean Houck, Pivetta, and Crawford. We pick up two solid starters whoever they may be then things get interesting for this pitching staff. I think that the pitching needs to be addressed first but that just begins to get things going. You bring back the same cast of characters and expect different results then once again you define what stupidity is. Going to be a tough redo for the new front office.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’m thinking

Acquisition
    Acquisition
    Bello
    Crawford
    Sale

And Pivetta starts when Sale isn’t available…
    In a perfect world, that looks like the one.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

With Sale, if you can slot him in as the #5 it give you hope that he can be a mid rotation starter playing up. Pivetta is just a #5. Let's get more out of the rotation.

It should be:

Yamamoto
    Bello
    Montgomery
    Crawford
    Sale

Sale is a better pitcher than Crawford, but you can't count on him to carry the load for 32 games.

If Wikelman can keep marching along, adding him to the rotation in the 2nd half could be a big improvement. Maybe he can slide in for Sale? Maybe he slides in for Crawford if Sale is actually still pitching well? Monegro/Perales are still late 25 at the earliest. Those are the only high octane guys in the minors right now in sniffing distance of a rotation spot that could be better what Crawford already is.
    I approve of this post. My only difference is that I believe part of changing the culture -- in what has been established by both Bloom and Dombrowski -- is to entirely discount Chris Sale:

1. The Red Sox need reliable starting pitchers who can consistently go six -- innings pitched and months. Obviously, they have to discount Sale for either.

2. In order to move on from hoping/wishing/praying for the walking wounded to give us contributions -- we gotta take cara him/limit his innings/skip a start/rehab assignment/wait til his comes off the IL/IL/IL/eeeyaaaaaaahhhhhh! -- the new GM needs to discount Sale by eating part of his contract and get him gone.

This post is nothing personal. It's strictly hobby.

It's time for a change of scenery... as in, we've scenery enough of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    In a perfect world, that looks like the one.
    I hope the Sox can get two TOTR arms, but I just don't believe they can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I approve of this post. My only difference is that I believe part of changing the culture -- in what has been established by both Bloom and Dombrowski -- is to entirely discount Chris Sale:

1. The Red Sox need reliable starting pitchers who can consistently go six -- innings pitched and months. Obviously, they have to discount Sale for either.

2. In order to move on from hoping/wishing/praying for the walking wounded to give us contributions -- we gotta take cara him/limit his innings/skip a start/rehab assignment/wait til his comes off the IL/IL/IL/eeeyaaaaaaahhhhhh! -- the new GM needs to discount Sale by eating part of his contract and get him gone.

This post is nothing personal. It's strictly hobby.

It's time for a change of scenery... as in, we've scenery enough of this.
    If they can trade Sale this offseason, they should.

Deity
    I hope the Sox can get two TOTR arms, but I just don't believe they can do it.
    A lot does depend on budget.

But even simply getting 2 arms better than Crawford/Pivetta will improve the rotation immensely.

I’m still on the Sonny Gray Train, but it’s really tough to gauge what type of deal he might get. Last year, the actual offers blow most of the predictions out of the water…

Deity
    If they can trade Sale this offseason, they should.
    If the price for Giolito is $20-25mill, Sale suddenly becomes more tradable…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Yes if you watched more than highlights…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A lot does depend on budget.

But even simply getting 2 arms better than Crawford/Pivetta will improve the rotation immensely.

I’m still on the Sonny Gray Train, but it’s really tough to gauge what type of deal he might get. Last year, the actual offers blow most of the predictions out of the water…
    Yeah, we have no idea what the FA market will look like, just what the names are. Sox need 2. I believe they'll only come away with one good one.