Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 139 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: trade deadline

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Dalbec and Groome for Scherzer. On the trade sim it is a minor overpay by the Red Sox... but it's worth it to beat other offers that are only fair value. Bloom does this on two conditions: a three-year extension for Max, and a three-month contract for El Guapo to sit on Sale in the dugout and temper his enthusiasm.

Bloom then deals Cordero and Potts to the Rox for CJ Cron. Colorado bets one of those guys will go off in the thin air, hit 30 bombs next year, and become another trade chip in a year.
    Well, once you dealt Dalbec, you ruined my plausible (to me, anywa) Matt Beaty trade scenario. It’s just not the same with Chavis over Dalbec.

So… why not CJ Cron, aka The Human Lottery Ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Considering you referenced a post about going over the tax limit this year as a counterpoint to my limiting my expectations from Sale, no. I find it difficult to believe that was not your intent…
    Very cynical. I was referencing your point because I thought it was a good point. That was it.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Very cynical. I was referencing your point because I thought it was a good point. That was it.
    And the Sox should take 2021 seriously and not fret any tax limits. But they have to do so with the mindset that anything Sale gives is a bonus not to be counted on…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And the Sox should take 2021 seriously and not fret any tax limits. But they have to do so with the mindset that anything Sale gives is a bonus not to be counted on…
    I have a lot of faith they will handle him wisely. And I hope they get as much as possible from him without jeopardizing his health.

A Scherzer trade will be too complicated. Before he agrees to a trade, Scherzer wants an extension and his agent is Boris--he will want a lot of money. He isn't going to be worth the money in the long run (he will be 37 years old in a matter of days). I would avoid.

Deity
    I would love to get Berrios but he hasn’t pitched well. Also the twins probably want the farm for the guy.

Bloom is likely looking at guys who are more under the radar.

Legend
    Agreed. The nice thing is that what the Red Sox need is not THAT difficult. Raising the floor at 1st base should not be a difficult ask. Getting a little more bullpen help should not be that difficult. Obviously multiple sources have connected Kimbrel though I am skeptical.

I do not see hang’em Chaim being in on kimbrel. He had stated in several interviews about balancing today and tomorrow. He is definitely hunting under the radar guys with multiple years of team control.

Those are very hard to find in season, but he did it successfully last year.

Legend
    Bloom doesn't get into detail about what he is planning. Generally, he talks to everyone about possible deals and says he is in the buyer's column. He knows the team's needs so I trust him to make the best available trades for us. His general principles are to make moves that involve a sustainable improvement in the team. Doesn't sound much like rentals but who knows. We also don't know if he is empowered to spend beyond the CBT but there again we don't know. My hope is that with less than a week to go we don't wait for the final hour to announce ours. Too easy to lose out on what is thought to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Bloom doesn't get into detail about what he is planning. Generally, he talks to everyone about possible deals and says he is in the buyer's column. He knows the team's needs so I trust him to make the best available trades for us. His general principles are to make moves that involve a sustainable improvement in the team. Doesn't sound much like rentals but who knows. We also don't know if he is empowered to spend beyond the CBT but there again we don't know. My hope is that with less than a week to go we don't wait for the final hour to announce ours. Too easy to lose out on what is thought to be the best.
    Hang’em Chaim is not going to be box specific. Chances are he is a buyer and a seller much like Tampa did last week. Whatever improves the team today snd tomorrow, he will do it.

I could see Bloom buying and selling, but I can't really think of who he'd sell.

Richards?

Perez?

Would he get much for either one?

Would he then maybe trade some prospects not likely to make next year's roster for a RP'er?

More likely, he makes a minor trade that hopefully works out like the Eovaldi or Pearce trades of 2018.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    That’s why I keep throwing out Matt Beaty…

Deity

Maybe he’ll sign Porcello. Can’t get further under the radar than that…

Ottavino has a history of pitching poorly late in the season and into October. The Red Sox need to add to the bullpen. Kimbrel is the best one out there, but it doesn't need to be Kimbrel just as long as Bloom adds a quality reliever.

Thus, I think the Red Sox will add a starting 1b and a reliever. They will probably kick the tires on SPs, but no one will be worth it.

I'm looking forward to watching a new starting 1b and saying goodbye to the M.Chavis-B.Dalbec shit show.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-24-2021 at 09:26 PM.